Sprout & About: An augmented reality app
University of Toronto Mississauga students and faculty
Professor Michael Corrin
Illustrator, Unity, Autodesk Maya
Augmented reality mobile app
Sprout and About is an augmented reality mobile app that teaches users about plants along the park trails at the University of Toronto Mississauga campus. Users can scan glyphs to activate an augmented reality view of plants and read information regarding its life cycle, ecological significance, habitat and other additional facts. After developing a prototype of the mobile app in Unity, a formal usability test was conducted on six users to evaluate three things: (i) the the app navigation and design, (ii) the augmented reality functionality and (iii) the app user experience. More content coming soon!
Team Member Roles
Shirley Long: Lead Designer & 3D Asset Developer
Colleen Tang Poy: Lead Developer & Project Manager
Maurita Hung: Lead Researcher and Support Developer
- All Ontario. (2018, May). 11 Surprising Facts about Trillium. Retrieved from https://allontario.ca/11-surprising-facts-about-trillium/
- Ge, Z., et al. (2017). Phragmites australis + Typha latifolia Community Enhanced the Enrichment of Nitrogen and Phosphorus in the Soil of Qin Lake Wetland. Scientifica, pp. 1-9.
- Global Invasive Species Database. (2006, April). Typha latifolia. Retrieved from http://www.iucngisd.org/gisd/species.php?sc=895
- Invasive Species Compendium. (2018, September). Typha latifolia (broadleaf cattail). Retrieved from https://www.cabi.org/isc/datasheet/54297
- Johnson, M. T., Prashad, C. M., Lavoignat, M., & Saini, H. S. (2018). Contrasting the effects of natural selection, genetic drift and gene flow on urban evolution in white clover (Trifolium repens). Proceedings of the Royal Society, 285: 20181019.
- Kobbing, J. F., Thevs, N., & Zerbe, S. (2013). The utilisation of reed (Phragmites australis): a review. Mires and Peat, 13, pp.1-4.
- Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center. (2015, December). Trillium grandiflorum. Retrieved from https://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=TRGR4
- Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center. (2015, December). Typha latifolia. Retrieved from https://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=tyla
- OFAH/OMNRF Invading Species Awareness Program. (2012). Garlic Mustard. Retrieved from http://www.invadingspecies.com/garlic-mustard/
- OFAH/OMNRF Invading Species Awareness program. (2012). Invasive Phragmites. Retrieved from http://www.invadingspecies.com/invasive-phragmites/
- Ontario Invasive Plant Council. (2013, April). Garlic Mustard (Alliaria petiolata): Best Management Practices in Ontario. Retrieved from https://www.ontarioinvasiveplants.ca/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/OIPC_BMP_GarlicMustard.pdf
- Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs. (2003, November). Ontario Weeds: White Clover. Retrieved from http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/crops/facts/ontweeds/white_clover.htm
- United States Department of Agriculture. (2009, January). White Clover Trifolium repens L. Retrieved from https://www.nrcs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_PLANTMATERIALS/publications/idpmcpg10358.pdf
© 2019 by Maurita Hung. All rights reserved.